Thursday 22 November 2012

My Big Fat Irish Thanksgiving

 
Happy Thanksgiving! It’s been a bit strange spending the day solely in my apartment (instead of driving to Brighton, to Hyde Park, to Brighton again and back to Medfield haha). Only one dinner? Who ever heard of such a thing? Even stranger, I cooked a turkey! I’m twenty-one….I honestly think I’m too young for this responsibility. Figuring out how to work the baster was a LOLfest. But to give credit where it’s due, we did a fantastic job (and the turkey was BA). We managed pretty much every Thanksgiving staple: turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, apple and pumpkin pies (both homemade), and we even included some fancy carrots and asparagus. To boot there was also butternut squash pasta, corn, bread, wine, cheese and crackers, brownies, ice cream, toffee pops and some Reeses Cups (sent from Mom). And 18 cans of Bulmers ha. Not too shabby.

Although I would have loved to spend the day with my family at home, my Irish Thanksgiving had its own special kind of charm and was loads of fun. If nothing else, the company was a reminder of what I am most grateful for this season: the friends I've made in Ireland (Irish and American). I've been including a lot of lists in my recent posts, so here’s another:

What I’m Grateful for this Thanksgiving:
  • The past three and half months, which have been wonderful. There are so many things I love about Ireland—Dublin, Trinity College, the Cumann Gaelach, my roommates, the pubs haha. My time here has been better than I’d hoped for.
  • My Mom and Dad for letting me spend the past three and a half months here. And my sisters, just for being my sisters. And obviously Tinker because she is the best.
  • My Irish Chickens. I couldn't be happier to share Thanksgiving with such great friends. I know Chloё reads this and I assume Sadhbh does, so to both of you, I will miss you terribly when I return home and I cannot wait to soak in the California sunshine with you next summer. Thank you for making this semester so much fun (go raibh maith agaibh…I had to look up how to make that plural, I’ll hope it’s right haha)
  • That I get to go home to two cities and see people I love.

So there you have it folks, My Big Fat Irish Thanksgiving. Complete with feasting, two rounds of Alice's Restaurant (for a grand total of 46 minutes), and general hysteria (only the best kind). I was even able to stream the Thanksgiving special of Acoustic Sunrise live on Mix 104.1 (and for once the time difference was convenient). I did miss out on the football game but let’s be real, do I care? Haha no disrespect, but it’s not like I watch it at home either.

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving (and if you’re Irish, a Happy November 22nd)

Lots of Love,

Lauren 














No comments:

Post a Comment